Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Move Over Cleanliness

D. and I have had an on-going discussion about the plates listed in this article. When we lived in Chicago, we spent countless hours on the road driving to and from his parents house 5(ish) hours away. Now Indiana is a peculiar place. You have some towns that make you feel like you're in the deep south (not that I have ever been to the deep south, I imagine it would be like this.) And you have places like Bloomington (home of IU) which is liberal as all hell.

With a state fairly split (hell - it went to Obama) I am shocked that these plates are free. Indiana has a whole array of available plates. Here are some of my favorites: the abortion plate, the fancy Shriner sword plate, and about 10M college/university plates. Alllll the other plates have a fee, except the standard plate and the god plate.

Growing up, we didn't really "do" the church thing. I went periodically with my grandmothers, but my parents worked shifts so we never really went as a family. So.... I may be biased. BUT... why do the Native American's have to PAY??? Weren't they here before us???? I truly just want equality for all... and this isn't it.

1 comment:

Derk said...

Let me break this down for you: These license plates are fundraisers and a way for the good people of Indiana to say something about themselves to the person traveling immediately behind them. Personally, I donated 25 bucks to Purdue to let everyone know that I'm much smarter than them.

Anyhow, the "In God We Trust" plates appeal to those who are both God-fearing and Patriotic (see: the currency in your pocket), but it would be against that whole church/state thing for the state of Indiana to raise money for any particular organized religion. Hence, if you want to show your patriotism and religious bent to the guy in the car behind you, you can do so for free.